Have you noticed a shift in your smile? Teeth are attached to your jawbone by ligaments that can be quite flexible and are therefore prone to mobility. If your teeth have shifted and you live in Farmington or Fayetteville, AR, then Farmington Dental & Orthodontics can help.
Why Do Teeth Shift?
Though your teeth naturally move and shift throughout your life, there are a few factors that can trigger more aggressive shifts in your smile. For example:
- As you age you may experience a process called mesial drift that causes your teeth to gradually move forward to the front of your mouth.
- If you have recently had orthodontic work and don’t wear your retainer then your teeth are almost guaranteed to shift back into their original positions.
- Bad posture can put abnormal stress on your jaw that causes changes in your bite and teeth alignment.
- A tongue thrust habit, in which the tongue pushes against a the front teeth when swallowing, can cause the teeth to jet forward in an open bite.
- Poor oral hygiene, an unhealthy diet, teeth grinding, and gum disease can result in enamel loss and tooth loss. Changes in the tooth shape and gaps in your smile can cause shifting of your teeth and your bite.
Can You Stop Teeth From Shifting?
The best way to prevent your teeth from shifting after braces or clear aligner therapy is to care for and wear your retainer as directed.
Other ways to prevent teeth shift include: wearing a nightguard if you grind your teeth; correcting bad posture with stretching and core exercises; consuming a balanced diet; and maintaining good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time with a fluoride toothpaste and soft-bristled toothbrush, floss at least once a day, and visit us for regular checkups and cleanings every six months.
Correct Misaligned Teeth at Farmington Dental & Orthodontics
If your teeth shift, don’t worry–our team can help you find an orthodontic solution. Contact us today to schedule your orthodontic consultation!