Radiation may not exactly sound rad, but X-rays are an extremely helpful tool across health professions, including dentistry. With all of the modern advancements in medical technology, X-rays are also much safer than ever before. At Farmington Dental & Orthodontics, we always take the necessary safety precautions when taking images.
We believe that our patients deserve the best care. We want you to be fully informed about the tools and technologies that go into your treatment, so let’s dive into the facts about X-rays!
Why Are X-Rays Necessary?
Although we do perform visual dental exams, sometimes it’s necessary to use X-rays to spot any damage or disease that is invisible to the naked eye. This kind of detailed imaging is also particularly useful when planning complex treatments.
How Often Do I Need X-Rays?
This is dependent on the individual patient’s dental history and needs. Our team will review your health history and examine your mouth to decide whether or not you need X-rays.
- We usually recommend X-rays for new patients so we have a foundational understanding of their oral health (unless their past dental care provider has sent us recent images).
- We might recommend children get more X-rays than adults, as their teeth and jaws are still developing and apt to change more frequently.
Are There Safety Concerns With X-Rays?
Put simply, digital dental X-rays are safe.
- X-rays emit very low levels of radiation, and even far less than old film X-ray imaging technology did in the past.
- We can also thank the development of protective X-ray gear like leaded aprons for increased safety with modern X-ray taking.
- However, if you are pregnant, it’s important to let your healthcare provider know before you get an X-ray scan so they can determine if it’s absolutely necessary.
As always, we are here for you if you have more questions or concerns regarding dental procedures. Don’t hesitate to contact us at any time!